Can Changing my diet reverse the effects of diabetes?
Another benefit of a plant based diet is that it is naturally low in fat. Have you ever had fried food for dinner and saw your blood sugar levels go up the next morning? Higher fat levels in the blood can cause insulin resistance to increase by preventing insulin from letting sugar into your cells. This causes blood sugars to increase.
As you begin your journey, it’s important to remember what you include is as important as what you exclude. Below, we’ve included tips to help you discover a healthier way of eating!
Healthy eating tips!
Don’t eat carbohydrates alone, always eat them with protein and/or non-starchy vegetables to help balance blood sugar. For example:
- Brown rice (carbohydrate) with tofu or egg whites (protein)
- Sweet potato (carbohydrate) with beats, tofu, and vegetarian meats.
Choose the most natural form of whole grains and starchy vegetables! High levels of whole grain bread, pasta, and cereal can increase blood sugar and triglycerides, and prevent weight loss. Choose options such as brown rice, rolled oats, sprouted grain bread, and sweet/baked potato.
Nutrition Labels are important to understand, too!
1. Check to make sure your serving is the same size as what’s printed on the label. If your serving size is twice as large, you’ll need to double the nutrient and caloric values.
2. Calories help you manage your weight. Know your daily needs – an active 160 lb woman needs about 2300 calories per day.
3. Try to limit calories from fat – high levels of saturated fat and trans fats can increase your risk for heart disease and cancer.
4. Sugars are a type of carbohydrate – choose foods that have reduced amounts of added sugars.
5. Make a goal of reaching 100% of your daily vitamin needs each day!
‘Ekahi Wellness | 500 Ala Moana Blvd, Suite 6-D, Honolulu HI
Phone: (808) 777-4000 | Fax: (808) 465-2505